Are you looking to place your home or condo on the Park City real estate market and are hoping to sell for top dollar?
If the answer is yes, one of the most important physical and emotional investments you must make will be to stage your home properly. Many sellers become way too attached to furniture, artwork, knickknacks, items and layout.
Because of this personal attachment, it can be difficult to step into the shoes of a buyer and prepare a home in a way that shows the property at its best angle.
Carefully staging a home requires dedication and for most property owners a significant amount of de-cluttering – however in the end that attention to detail may increase the overall value of your home by more than 10 percent.
I just recently came across this incredibly helpful list of 15 tips to successfully stage your home on the popular HGTV website.
Some of the most important ways you can stage your home include:
1. De-clutter and de-personalize: Nearly every home is initially cluttered with personal affects and memorabilia. Additionally, too much furniture can close in walls and make a home seem much smaller than it is.
Professional stagers prepping a home for the market will often remove half of original furnishings.
2. Strategically Placed Furniture: Instead of setting furniture at the edges of a room, home owners can make a space actually feel larger and more inviting by coupling furniture in groups to promote conversation.
3. Lighting: Changing out dated lighting fixtures can also add significant value to a home. Dark and dimly-lit homes can create a smaller feel. HGTV suggests you aim for 100 watts of light per 50 square feet.
4. Neutrally Painted Walls – High quality neutral paint colors allow buyers to imagine themselves in a space and can help hide dated finishes. Bold colors on large walls can turn off potential buyers.
5. Bedroom Staging: When staging a bedroom, use a calm, tranquil color palette with sandy beiges, pale blues or soft greens. The bed frame should complement the room without over-sizing it and closets should be cleaned out to show ample space.
6. Bathroom Staging: Tile should be clean and clear of any mold. Professionally painted tile can bring a new feeling to a dated shower. In order to create a spa-like experience, stage a bathroom with items such as towels, green plants, candles, scented soaps, creams, lotions and shampoos.
As you prepare your Park City property to sell, always try to think through the eyes of a buyer seeing your home for the first time. Take the time to un-clutter and hire a cleaning service to ensure the home is spotless.
If you have any questions on staging your home to appeal to potential buyers – be sure to contact me at 435-901-4309.
Make it a great day!
Accredited Buyer Representative